9/05/2012

The Toucan Squawk, Sept. 4 - 7

Hello families!  I hope everyone enjoyed their Labor Day weekend.  Tomorrow are our conferences.  If you are unable to make the scheduled time, please let me know.  We can go over our respective schedules and set up a new time.  I am also available by phone or by email.  Whichever is best for both of us.  I will have your child's STAR Reading report and progress report, as well as your ParentVue log-information. 

The students have been working through polygons and area of a rectangle in math.  For reading, the students have been reading "Round-up at Rio Ranch".  They also been super busy with taking AR tests and studying their spelling words. 

We started center rotations today.  The centers the students worked through were math, word work (spelling word study), reading from the reading series, and completing writing projects.  Overall, they went as smooth as a start could be.  We did hit a few rough patches with behavior and not following directions.  However, we're moving in the right direction so I definitely think things will be looking up next week.  With Thursday and Friday being half-days, I won't be able to pull as many centers, of course, as on a full-day.  We'll get as much done as we can these two shortened days, and then start full-force and fresh on Monday.  The purpose of center rotations is to practice and review what has already been taught, for the kids to become more independent workers, and for me to be able to work with all of the kids at least every day.  I'll work with each group of kids every other day in reading and writing.  This will give me the chance to check on everyone's progress in all subjects taught, as well as review skills not yet mastered.  In the afternoons, we won't have center rotations, but after the math lesson I do have a chance to sit with the kids who have not mastered a specific math skill.

On Monday I sent home your child's AR report.  My mistake for not getting these to the kids on Friday, so it will be my job to make sure they go home each Friday.  Each report had your child's reading level and range.  A few kids had not, at that moment, taken AR tests yet so I indicated how many your child will need to take by Friday to achieve their AR goal for the week.  Several students worked SUPER hard today and yesterday and were able to take the amount of tests I had indicated.  There are still a couple who need to reach their test goal, so we'll work hard at that tomorrow and Friday.  If a student's AR goal is not achieved by Friday, they will need to complete it during their Freetime.

I look forward to meeting with everyone tomorrow afternoon!

News
Sept. 6 and 7     Parent/Teacher Conferences, half-day early release at 11:30.
Sept. 12 Teacher in-service, 1/2 day early release
Sept. 26 Teacher in-service, 1/2 day early release

Birthdays
Sept. 23 Hawkins

Thank you for all you do!

Elizabeth Townsend
PDS
Second Grade
515-2970
elizabeth.townsend@svps.k12.az.us
     

0 comments :

Post a Comment