8/30/2013

The Toucan Squawk, Aug. 26 - Aug. 30

Hello families!  I hope everyone had a great week.  The students finished up place value this week and have moved into skip counting- which has been really fun once they figured out it can help them with multiplication.  We don't cover multiplication in second grade, but letting them know it's something they'll see in third grade kept them motivated for the unit.  We also covered compound words with various activities and work pages.  This coming week, we'll be covering ABC order to the 2nd letter.  Some of the work will also be on to the third letter, which can be challenging.  For math, we'll be covering identifying even and odd numbers.  This will be a great unit since we just covered place value to the thousands- something which will come into play this coming week. 

The students are finishing up a writing craft- about a small moment- and then making a scarecrow to go with that writing.  It's a super cute craft the kids will be able to have up on the walls- hopefully some of them will be up for this coming week's conferences.

Speaking of conferences, if the time I sent home doesn't work please let me know as soon as possible.  I can reschedule accordingly- and if a phone or email conference is best, please let me know.  I will, unfortunately, be able to give you any login information for the online grade book Synergy- the district office hasn't passed on any of that information to us yet.  I should be getting the information I need to pass on to you sometime the week of Sept. 9th.

This coming week the students will also be taking their pretest on the computers on a program called Galileo.  The students will be taking pretty much the same test each quarter and at the end of the school year.  It will be on reading and math- and should take about 2 hours.  I'm anxious to see how they can handle sitting at the computers for 2 hours- but I'm sure they'll be able to handle it.

Today I also found out we have a case of lice in the classroom.  I told the kiddos that if they are itching their heads a lot they need to let me know.  I can send them to the nurse at that point.  I always figure, better safe than sorry.  The nurse did come in this morning and check the student's friends and they were ok.


News
Sept. 2           Labor Day, no school.
Sept. 5           Parent/Teacher Conferences, 1/2 day early release.
Sept. 11         1/2 day early release at 11:30, teacher in-service.
Sept. 25         1/2 day early release at 11:30, teacher in-service.


Birthdays
Holly             9/23
Isaac              9/24



Thank you for all you do!

Elizabeth Townsend
PDS
Second grade
elizabeth.townsend@svps.k12.az.us

0 comments :

Post a Comment